Thursday, August 21, 2008

Buns of Steel, Skin of Cocoa

We moved to Temecula just over a year ago- five days before my girls started school, and a mere nine (yep, 9! ) days before my son was born. Yeah, things were a little hectic. But as any mother knows, after the post-partum fog lifts and you stop feeling so much like an all-night diner, you'd better get your butt out there and do something or you'll never feel like you again. Now, as you may have gathered, I am a cheapskate. For some, the monetary commitment of certain mommy-style walking groups might provide the extra motivation necessary for you to actually show up and feel the burn three times a week. I (remember: cheapskate) decided I could walk just fine on my own, thank you very much, and set out with baby in stroller one brisk late-winter morning after dropping the biggers off at school. After only two days of solo strolling (here comes the part where I talk about what I love about Temecula), the group of gals I had passed on both of those days stopped, called me over, and invited me to walk with them. I felt so human! These were grown-ups! With babies! Who knew how to speak!

Fast forward six months, and we're still walking the same route. I took the above photo this morning, and although you (sadly) can't tell, this was a hilarious moment in which everyone decided to do some "extreme kinesthetics" for the benefit of this pic. Being that I am apparently a terrible photographer, that didn't quite come through, and it just looks like we're totally into stretching every time we stop for water. We're not. What we are into is walking 5 days a week, a five mile loop, up and down hills, rain, snow, sleet, or shine. But, um, like, we live in Temecula, so really it's pretty much just shine. But the hills are real, and so are the results: a nice firm booty and skin so toasty brown that your poor friends from the northeast will have to do their very best not to lash out in envy.

To find a free walking or running group near you, log on to www.SeeMommyRun.com and search for your city. If you'd like to join us, with all our sassy banter and how-to-save-a-dime chatter, look for Temecula Fit Mommies - we'd love to have you!

2 comments:

SeeMommyRunandBoxandCraft said...

Very cool! I always love to see instances where the seeMOMMYrun site has worked its magic!! Keep up the hard work and the fun. Let me know if there is ever anything you need!! This is Andrea the Founder from seeMOMMYrun, by the way.

Oh - and you all look awesome!!!

dwija said...

Thanks, Andrea! Glad you found the blog. Walking together has been great for so many reasons. Keep up the good work!